Tattoos are a beautiful form of self-expression. That being said, sometimes they do not turn out the way we want or they stop reflecting who we are. You may think you are stuck with unwanted ink for life, but luckily, this is not the case. Laser tattoo removal is an option that can bring very satisfactory results. The UltraLight-Q laser, in particular, has proven to be very effective at removing both tattoos and pigmented lesions, and it could work for you.
How Does Tattooing Work?
A needle is used to place ink underneath the skin when you get a tattoo. The industry has advanced to the point that the needle can puncture the skin anywhere from 50 to 3,000 times per minute. Although many people assume that a tattoo is placed on the epidermis, or top layer of skin, this is not true. A tattoo is placed down into the dermis and simply seen through the epidermis. This is because the dermis is more stable and capable of holding onto the ink.
The human body immediately recognizes the ink as a foreign material and tries to eliminate it. The problem is, the particles are too large for the body to do anything. This does not prevent it from trying, however. This is the reason that tattoos eventually fade after many years. Laser tattoo removal is essentially a way to give your body the edge in its fight against the ink particles.
What are the Alternatives of Laser Tattoo Removal?
Prior to the invention of laser tattoo removal, the options for getting rid of unwanted ink were few. Surgical excision is an alternative, but this method has fairly obvious downsides. Other options people have used include dermabrasion, salabrasion, and chemical peels. These methods have not proven to be very effective. Salabrasion, which is a method that uses salt and water to scrub away tattoos, is actually considered to be dangerous. At the end of the day, laser treatment is the safest and best way to get rid of a tattoo.
What is the UltraLight-Q Laser?
This treatment uses a Q-Switched YAG laser to gently and safely eliminate tattoos. Unlike continuous wave lasers, which have a higher chance of scarring, a Q-switched laser uses short, intense bursts of light. This system uses two specific wavelengths in order to target tattoo pigments. They are 1064nm and 532nm. What sets the UltraLight-Q laser apart is that the handpiece contains the Nd:YAG energy. It is ready to produce 1064nm energy, and a tip can be attached when the 532nm wavelength is needed.
When the laser comes into contact with the tattoo ink, the ink absorbs the energy. This is converted into heat, which helps to break apart the ink particle. Your immune system then has the ability to absorb and eliminate the unwanted ink. The skin around your tattoo will remain unaffected.
What Sets the UltraLight-Q Laser Apart from Other Options?
There are several choices out there when it comes to laser tattoo removal. It can be difficult to know which option is the best one for you. Some of the things that make this treatment special include:
- There are multiple spot sizes: Tattoos come in many different sizes and shapes. Whether you are getting rid of a large picture of thin text or a smaller image, the UltraLight-Q laser can help. With four different spot sizes, there is a way for us to target almost any tattoo.
- There are variable pulse rates: There are different treatment speeds, ranging from 1 – 5 Hertz, depending on the needs of your ink. This ensures every session you have is both effective and accurate.
- The fluence is adjustable: Fluence is the amount of optical energy delivered to an area per energy pulse. This allows us to adjust the treatment to meet your needs in an effective and safe manner.
- It uses “Top Hat” output pulses: This method of delivering pulses gives us predictable results. As a bonus, it helps to reduce the odds of any scarring or hyperpigmentation.
Who is a Good Candidate for Laser Tattoo Removal?
Nearly any tattoo can be removed, at least to a degree, with the UltraLight-Q laser. Certain factors will help determine how easy your tattoo will be to eliminate. The age, size, number of colors, and density all impact this.
As with most things, being in good health is very important before undergoing laser tattoo removal. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are encouraged to wait to have this treatment done. The same is true for people receiving chemotherapy.
Are Some Tattoos Easier to Remove Than Others?
Some tattoos will put up less of a fight than others when it comes to laser tattoo removal. There are many factors that will play a role. The age of the tattoo is one. Some people think older tattoos will be harder to remove, but the opposite is actually true. The older the tattoo, the more time your body has had to work at removing it on its own.
Some ink colors are easier to get rid of depending on the laser system and other factors. Typically speaking, black, blue, red, and green are considered the easiest to get rid of. Lighter colors can sometimes be harder to target due to the way that the treatment works. Your tattoo will be evaluated prior to beginning to create the best possible treatment plan.
The method used to give you your tattoo in the first place is another factor. The type of ink used as well as the depth it was placed matter. It is okay if you do not have this information. Laser tattoo removal will be at least somewhat effective on nearly any tattoo, regardless of ink type and depth. Yet another thing that can impact how easy it will be to remove your tattoo is how your body reacts.
A Note About Skin Tone and Laser Tattoo Removal
When it comes to skin tone and its response to ultraviolet light, there is a measurement scale used. Typically speaking, lower numbers on the scale tend to respond better to this treatment. That being said, advancements have allowed for this technique to be effective for nearly anyone. The UltraLight-Q laser is actually well-suited for darker skin because it is a Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser that delivers long wavelengths in short pulses.
What are the Benefits of UltraLight-Q Laser Treatments?
There are many reasons to give this treatment serious consideration if you find that you are no longer happy with your tattoo. Some of the biggest ones include:
- Results are permanent: Once you have reached your desired results with the UltraLight-Q laser, your tattoo will be gone for good. You never have to worry about seeing it again!
- Discomfort is minimal: Advances in technology have made this procedure very tolerable. Your comfort level will be monitored during the entire treatment.
- It is accurate and effective: The laser energy can be concentrated exactly where it is needed. You do not need to worry about the surrounding skin being damaged.
- It works on various skin tones: Although the exact course of treatment may vary depending on your skin tone and tattoo color, practically everyone can get results using the UltraLight-Q laser!
- Works on any ink color: While black is the easiest color to eliminate, this treatment can work on any color.
- Risk of scarring is small: As mentioned above, the Q-switched aspect of this treatment greatly reduces the odds of scarring. Those who are prone to scarring should mention this at their initial appointment.
One of the biggest benefits of this treatment is the fact that it actually works. The FDA warns people against trying over-the-counter tattoo removal ointments or creams. They have been reported to cause burning or rashes and do not work, at any rate. This option actually does!
What to Expect with Laser Tattoo Removal
How many sessions you will need to reach your desired results can vary greatly. Your tattoo will be evaluated and an estimate will be given at your initial visit. On average, people need a series of treatments. During each visit, the laser will manage to break down the ink particles to a degree. Your body will then begin to flush them out. Due to this, you will need to wait multiple weeks in between sessions to get the best possible results.
The treatment itself is performed in the comfort of our office. It is designed to be quick and convenient, even for those with busy schedules. Afterward, you should be able to immediately resume most all of your normal activities. It will be crucial to protect the area being treated from the sun. This skin will be extra sensitive during the tattoo removal process. You will be given specific aftercare instructions after treatment to follow so that you can protect your skin and get the best possible outcome from the treatment.
At your first appointment at our office, we will learn about your goals for the treatment. If desired, it is possible to target only a portion of your tattoo. This is one of the advantages of laser tattoo removal – it can be very precise and customized to meet your wants and needs.
Learn More About Laser Tattoo Removal with UltraLight-Q
Are you ready to say goodbye to your unwanted ink for good? Get in touch with Advanced Life Clinic and learn more about this effective treatment. Our team in Huntsville is ready to answer any questions you may have during your initial visit. UltraLight-Q may be the perfect method of laser tattoo removal for you! Contact us today to book your appointment and get started.