5 Reasons IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is our favorite laser treatment!
“IPL in one of the most tried and true and versatile treatments in our office” I have been using these treatments for many years and to remove pigment and treat redness, they really haven’t invented anything that works better”–Dr. Hayley M. DeGraaff, M.D.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is a light based, laser treatment that is pulsed on the skin to remove or treat a variety of skin condition. IPL treatments can be used for acne scarring, scars, age spots, broken capillaries and rosacea. It is not a “peeling” type laser and doesn’t remove any tissue, but rather a “penetrating” type laser that targets red and brown skin conditions. So here are the top 5 reasons that IPL is so great!
1. It WORKS! IPL has one of the highest patient satisfaction ratings of anything we offer. Patients can actually SEE the pigment coming to the surface and then slough off when it is used for sun damage or melasma. Patients don’t have to wonder if the laser treatment is really doing anything and the results usually show up in a matter of weeks and not months like some other treatments!
2. It’s SAFE! Since IPL treatment don’t actually peel or remove any tissue, they are very safe treatments. The laser has multiple settings that allow us to treat many different skin conditions although it may not be used on some very dark skin types. Of course, our IPL is FDA approved and the technology has been around for over a decade so we know there are no long term side effects.
2. It’s QUICK! Most IPL treatment take less than 30 minutes. Spot treatment can be done in 10-15 minutes. There is no recovery time, so our patients can leave with a sunscreen on immediately following their treatments. Most “brown” skin issues can be treated in 1-2 treatments and “red” issues may take 3-5 treatments. The wait between treatments is typically 2 weeks.
4. There is NO down-time! Since IPL treatments do not remove the top layers of your skin, it is safe to apply make-up immediately after your treatmment. It leaves a mild sunburn appearance and occasionally mild swelling which are easily covered with makeup. You should be able to return to work or other activities when you leave as long as a sunscreen is applied.
5. It’s VERSATILE! The beauty of the IPL treatment process is how many different skin conditions we can treat! IPL can be used for “brown” skin issues like sun damage, acne scarring, melasma and some freckling. It can also be used for “red” skin issues like rosacea, broken facial capillaries, scars and small cherry angiomas. It can also be used on almost any area of the body such as the face, neck, chest arms hands and legs!!
The cost of IPL treatments start at only $150 for a small area spot treatment and should be done when no tanning or prolonged sun exposure is expected. IPL will allow you to wear less makeup and clear up other skin imperfections that may be keeping you from wearing lower cut tops, or sleeveless shirts. Dr. DeGraaff offers FREE IPL consults!